Solution?
The last post and Poweryogi's post brings up a good point. Can we introduce fast food that is cheap and healthy? While, I do not know the underlying economics, I wish to bring to attention some other type of foods..
In Bay area, we have a chinese fast food chain called Tung Kee. It is very non-descript type of place but serves dishes for under $5. In fact the article reads: Prices are unbeatable: 12 of the 30 items cost $2.50, nine items are $2.75 and nothing peaks over $4. The food is truly fast food. You place the order and I gaurantee that within 5 minutes, you get your food.. and its tasty, and (I think) healthy!!
There are other ethnic joints, some Indian ones in Sunnyvale, that surprisingly will serve an excellent lunch (with 2 vegetable dishes, lentils, etc) for under $5.00.
So IT is possible to serve food for under $5.00 without resorting to fatty fries and double-cheese double-patty burgers. In fact, of all the FFC, I like In-n-out because they serve good burgers with fresh ingredients.
Now, where is the money that we pay for a meal at McDs go? Very little goes to cover the cost of the food. Most of it goes to cover the advertising, decor, salaries, and so on. The only good thing of FFCs is that one can get the same burger across the country -from Maine to Oregon. For many, that may be a good thing; for me, that represents monotony!!!

2 Comments:
Healthy food, in my view, is food that:
- does not contain preservatives and other chemicals
- does not contain huge overdoses of sugar, fat, and carbs.
- is balanced (remember the food pyramid), yet tasty
- Offers choice to the patrons. If you dont like rice, you can eat bread, and so on.
Remember, I never said eating burgers is unhealthy (see note about in-n-out).
2:11 PM
Excellent insights baangandu..
Btw I just read your blog too,.. welcome to MBA bloggers
4:41 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home