Diary of a Wharton/Sloan/Kellogg/Harvard/Stanford hopeful.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Technical Writer

As if the application essays were not mind-bending enough, I am tasked with writing a technical user's manual for a product I developed for a client. Initially, I thought that this would be an easy task, but soon after I started to realize how difficult it is to "teach" people how to use a simple software through a manual. My respect for tech writers has shot up tremendously after this...

Well, i got hold of some old user's manuals for some archaic software I use at work to see the style and delivery.. I think all of them have to have:
  • Installation
  • Quick start : for the impatient (like me :0)
  • Define project/ Setup ...
  • -
  • -
  • Troubleshooting

Ah, I guess this is one more skill to put up on my resume!!

4 Comments:

Blogger iwhoElse said...

Don't forget to add FAQ's and Copyright info, even if anything else is not included..

5:33 PM

 
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Oh behalf of technical writers everywhere - I thank you for your support.

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Quantjock said...

thanks everyone. Will try to follow these guidelines, orelse make a blank document with just one video - a demo !! so much easier :)

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Cal Grad said...

Yea, I've also had to re-write a bunch of crappy guides we had. Definitely follow riter's and iwhoelse's advice~!

4:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home