Diary of a Wharton/Sloan/Kellogg/Harvard/Stanford hopeful.

Friday, December 31, 2004

Essays H/S

I have some semblance of completed essays for H and S. After the W decision, I am not sure what to think of my chances at H and S, but I have to admit that this process of writing the essays has been the most enlightening.

As a GSB alum said "Stanford essays are not meant to be an exercise in marketing, but should be an exercise in accounting". I cannot help but agree more. I think I would like to go through this process of introspection and goal-setting every 5 years. So even if the results are not favorable, I would like to think that a lot of good came out of writing these essays.

I think both sets of essays are very similar to each other, although they look to be very different at the beginning. Both of them ask you to really look inside and express what you see. This has been challenging, for an engineer like me. However, I hope that I still have managed to convey my passions intelligently, and most important honestly.

We decided not to Party this year, given the calamity in south east Asia, and instead donate the money to charity. It may be good time to reflect and ponder on what a year this has been...

To everyone, Happy new year.. hope we all have success in all shapes and sizes this coming year!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Completely agree with you on the application process. Frankly, it changed my outlook towards life. I never knew the value of my experiences as much as i know now. I never saw a method in my life - it was kind of erratic and going on types--but application process made me go through deep introspection. I actually figured how each step in my life led to the other and there was definitely a method in everything I did. Though I never realized it earlier because I never looked at my life with a perspective I do now. I am really happy to have gone through this process and it has made me much more self-aware...

Glad that you decided to donate the money for charity. We did a similar thing here and canceled our new year bash. It's important to be sensitive to such situations and more important to realize that every piece of contribution matters.

Wishing you a great year ahead. All the best for your H/S app....2005 will be great!!!

7:15 PM

 
Blogger Tanya said...

And one important point I forgot to mention - Despite all rejects I got last year, what kept me going was this introspection and self-awareness. I won't say I wasn't depressed/sad - but i got over it sooner than I genrally do because I had the confidence and conviction. Looking back, I can't help but feel glad about what the process made out of me.

7:22 PM

 
Blogger Quantjock said...

thanks Atta-G.. that says a lot about your determination and perserverance. congrats on your admits.. :)

7:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home