Diary of a Wharton/Sloan/Kellogg/Harvard/Stanford hopeful.

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Secret of Happiness??

While watching the elections, I was goofing off on the computer when this article caught my eye "Secret of happiness'. The author David Myers argues that while materially we may be living in the best of times (multiple TVs per household, latest cars, gadgets, Plasma TVs), sprititually we are living in a vacuum.

I find this paradox interesting. I take an analogy : I know I was happy when I was a kid. I had no money, I used to ask my parents for cash and bought what I could, and hungered for what I couldnt have. Now, within limits, I can afford things, but still I dont fell as happy as I did back then. I feel burdened by responsibilities, work pressures, peer pressures, and so on.

What is the meaning of happiness? Is it making a 7-figure salary while working 100 hours a week? Is it spending time with your kids, helping them do their homework; Is it taking time out to a take a walk with your wife in the evenings... Is it the new car we promise ourselves every 3 years. Is it the next "yuppie" vacation? Is it to write a book..??

I continue to ponder and scratch my head. Its not, I suppose, a trivial question. After all, this very question led the young Siddhartha to reach enlightenment.. to become Buddha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home