MBA competition
I was at a local Borders with my wife last night. My wife is normally not into books, so we do not go into bookstores a whole lot together. I, on the other hand, just adore books..love their smell, love the rows of neatly stacked books (you get the idea). Okay, say it, I am a NERD.
Anyways, picked up some books on MBA strategies. Wow, this is an industry in itself. I mean, any person planning to apply to the World's top B-schools should be at a level of competence that he/she can go to the School's websites, and few clicks later, be able to judge the school's culture, the focus, the student pool, compensation statistics, leadership focus, technology focus, etc. Then why the hell are all these books being published? I like Montauk's book, but so does 7000 other applicants to Wharton. I have stopped reading that book for now, because I want to chart my own identity and my own ideas about each School. I will reinforce those ideas after visiting each school, and that's that.
Anyways, I saw atleast a couple of guys studying for GMAT in the Borders coffee shop. Hmm, a lot of competition. But somehow sitting and typing my thoughts in the computer for essay ideas, my wife sitting and reading a COSMO, I began to feel good about the whole forthcoming application process. I think, I am ready!! Bring it on...

4 Comments:
I don't think it's so much that the applicants aren't capable of judging culture, focus, etc. as much as it is wanting a framework to build upon. I think it's also good to have opinions outside the school's own marketing literature to see if they are harmonious.
I think there is also a secondary market for those that buy these type of books. I think sometimes applicants use these references as a way to improve their chances at a "stretch" school. Usually an applicant in this situation is willing to invest more resources because s/he isn't sure s/he has what it takes?
Finally, applying is stressful. People under stress look for things to calm them. Buying one of these books when you know others have done the same might serve this purpose.
9:14 AM
Hi Brad,
good points. Montauk's book was very helpful, but there are a lot of sub-par run of the mill books out there, which pretty much regurgitate the information in the brochures/websites.
9:27 AM
I was at a borders about 4 days ago and when I sat down, there were 3 GMAT books taken off the shelf that someone just left there. Sort of gave me the same feelings that there is a lot of competition. But, the GMAT I don't much care because it's not really a curve. The Business application thing though.. yeah there's too much info out there and I'm starting to see that what your meaning about wanting to come to my own opinions. Most importantly, I agree with your last statement with regard to the journey ahead in the applications.... "BRING IT ON!"
10:16 AM
Hey, I'd like to talk to you about Admissions Consultants and your thoughts. Perhaps you can e-mail me. daveskim@msn.com I'm thinking about using one of them for 3 apps, but that would be $4500-$5000. What are your thoughts. What have you been thinking.
9:42 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home