Bowling for Columbine and other trivialities
I just finished watching Bowling for Columbine, an excellent documentary on the effects of guns on society. It was hilarious, and poignant at the same time. Moore seems to have a knack for getting people to say the very thing they should keep quiet about. And he is not afraid to say it like it is. These are times of pseudo-patriotism, when free speech is being painted as anti-Americanism. However, Moore himself is an object of great scrutiny.
I am an Immigrant myself to the United States- This country has been very good to me and I owe a lot to the people, the amenities and the system. However, I do get concerned over small things. One of my friends in the Midwest was hanging out in a parking lot of a restaurant when a man came to him and said "Don't you dare touch my Car". After arguing in vain with him and to trying to undertsand why he would mistake my friend for a burglar, the man said "F*** you, go back to your country". My friend, who has spent the majority of his life in the US, could not believe his ears...The man shouting at him was no red-neck hilly-billy, he was a seemingly well to do, educated American.
The trouble is that many people do not want to talk about these things. These issues get repressed in the fast paced life which most Americans lead. For e.g., The Iraq prisoner torture issue has been convieniently forgotten, in its place are Reagan's funeral and NBA finals. Of course, most people are more interested in watching who won "American Idol" than current world affairs.
I am sorry to be saying all this. But I strongly believe that one of the things which makes this country unique are all the talented immigrants who come here from around the world looking for the American dream. Their contributions to Arts, Sports, Science, Technology, Medicine and Culture are hardly insignificant.

1 Comments:
Hi,
I totally agree with you. In fact, Americans are more welcoming and friendlier than people in most other countries I have been to. These are isolated incidents, which probably are not manifested in larger cities, where people have a more global outlook.
3:11 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home