Diary of a Wharton/Sloan/Kellogg/Harvard/Stanford hopeful.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Rankings..selectivity...yield..whatever!!

Ever since I got into the B-school race, I have to say that I am going through a cyclical process of introspection: At the high crest, I am brimming with confidence. My strengths seem out of this world and my qualifications seem like they will wade me through the apps. At the low end, I am left facing serious doubts about my candidacy, especially after reading the dreaded B-week forums, hearing about the quality of students at institution A, and so on.

As I begin writing my Stanford Applications, I am at a high end again. It was not the case a month ago, I was contemplating not to apply to Stanford in Round 1. I went through a similar cycle for Wharton. I think, at the end, after writing your essays and evaluating your so-called strategy for each school, its only that much one can do.

One thing I have learnt over a couple of years is that you win some and you lose some. But, the best part is competing. Watching the finale of the "Amazing race" last night on CBS, I thought to myself: "I just want to compete", ....if I win, it will be the proverbial icing on the cake.

Having said that, I am meeting a curent Stanford student this week to get a sense of the place. I have also signed up for information session and tour. I am still deciding who the 3rd recommender for Stanford should be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Quantjock said...

I agree. And there is no sense stressing about it...

1:03 PM

 
Blogger mark and jie said...

I can't tell you how many of those cycles I went through, especially after I submitted my apps. I even had Jie change my b-week password so I couldn't read the forums. She read them for me, and after I got my HBS interview invite she let slip: "Thank god, they've been coming out for over a week!" I'm glad I only found out after the fact, though, and not before.

I just kept telling myself that if I put together the best app I could then I had done all I could do and I should just relax and see what happens.

Good luck with those Stanford essays!

1:09 PM

 
Blogger iwhoElse said...

I am sure this madness of living TWO lives will bear fruit for all of us... keep the tempo goin... :)

4:25 PM

 
Blogger Quantjock said...

Mark, iwhoelse, riter:

thanks for your comments. I am approaching Stanford essays from a fresh perspective. I think it needs a lot of work., but I think I have the barebones of what I wish to convey!

4:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home