Diary of a Wharton/Sloan/Kellogg/Harvard/Stanford hopeful.

Friday, January 02, 2004

Quakes and shakes

Looks like earthquakes are hitting all over the planet lately. Central calfornia shook with a 6.5 magnitude EQ and so did Bam in Iran. Net result: 3 people died in California and 50,000 in Iran. Total extent of coverage for the Iran quake on CNN: 0 minutes the first few days. Ironic? Well there is more,..the only coverage which I saw of the iRAN quake was 4 days later..when Bush decided to send humanitarian aid to Iran.

I feel strongly that american media is extremely biased when showing world events. First of all, many notable world events are not even covered..and those that are covered are based entirley on region. For e.g., right after sept 11th, there was a blast in Bali. CNN and other american media covered it extensively...but earthquake in Iran...no coverage. More casualties, more damage..but not a peep from CNN.

Is it fair?

I wish i am able to obtain more rational and unbiased coverage of world news here in America. There may be cats missing in Iowa..and another black kid may be roughly accosted by Police, but I want to see world events covered which affect all of us in more ways than one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home